Sustainability

Uncategorized

Commitment to a sustainable wardrobe

100 of my shirts shown are being passed onto someone who will enjoy their second life.

I am personally guilty of owning many fast fashions with my habit of impulse buying. Now is a perfect time for me to shrink my footprint since most of my clothes do not fit me after dropping a few dress sizes. I will be acquiring a new wardrobe with a commitment to being sustainable in two ways. First, I will clean out my closet by reselling, donating, or recycling old clothes. Next, I will rebuild a new wardrobe that consists of quality pieces that will last long. However, I plan to not own as many fashion items as before because I have learned that it is not necessary to have a large wardrobe. I will be adopting a minimalistic mindset that will ultimately not only bring me a more sustainable lifestyle, but will aid in developing a more balanced, sane mindset. 

Plan of action:

Creating a Poshmark profile will aid in my clothing resale. Additionally, I will visit local thrift shops including Beacons Closet and Buffalo Exchange. Any items that don’t sell will be donated to Goodwill. If something is in a condition bad enough to not be worthy of any of the mentioned options, I will dispose of it in the fabric recycling bin located in H&M stores. The next plan of action is to strategize the renewal of the empty wardrobe. In this step, it is very crucial to internalize a new mindset of making long term investments rather than getting back into accumulating short-term wear attire.